Thursday, June 27, 2013

Stonewall Neon, Then and Now

One of my favorite signs that I never saw was the big neon hulk that formerly hung over the Stonewall Inn at 58 Christopher Street in Greenwich Village.  It appears in the backdrop of photos showing the Stonewall Uprising, which took place 44 years ago today (June 28, 2013).

  
The sign is gone now.  But I was reminded yesterday that Stonewall still has some neon, and a respectable sign at that.

 (T. Rinaldi)


Congratulations to Edie Windsor and hats off to what is likely to be the most photographed neon in town this weekend.  

(Diana Davies / NYPL)

(T. Rinaldi)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this!
    I can't believe it's been 44 years already...one year before I was born.
    Thank you to everyone who stood their ground for gay rights. God Bless!
    --Bhakti

    ReplyDelete