Thursday, November 15, 2012

Talking Neon


This week I busied myself taking care of something that's been on my to-do list for a long time: a lecture (or "talk", "presentation", or "slide show", if you like) in which I will ramble for an hour or so on the subject of – what else – New York Neon. My first speaking engagement is this coming Monday evening, November 19, 2012 – please stop by if you're in the neighborhood! There will be lots of pretty pictures to look at, so even if my droning bores you to tears, I can at least promise some neon eye candy.


In any event, the lecture prep got the better of my grand ambitions for this week's blog post.  Stay tuned for more elaborate posts to come.  In the meantime, here are a few odds and ends:

NEW YORK NEON IN THE NEWS:

Great coverage in Friday's New York Post (11/16/12) by Chris Erikson.  Thanks Chris for letting me talk your ear off this week!

Mike Welton of the Architects and Artisans blog wrote up a nice piece earlier this week (11/14/12) illustrated with a nice selection of photos from the book – all five boroughs get coverage!

IN OTHER NEON NEWS:


 From Yonkers, unhappy news that Nathan's will close in the next week or so; the building (and sign?) are set to be demolished (a smaller Nathan's is in the cards for a proposed new building on the site).  Sad news on one of the greatest signs in the tristate.

The Saturday after Thanksgiving is SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY!  A great way to pitch in for small businesses in NYC - neon bedecked and otherwise - many of which are still feeling the pinch of our week without power. 

Word from Roger Borg of 419 Neon that the Jersey Turnpike is retiring all of its neon alert signs.  Always wanted to get a shot of one of these glamourgirls in action!  (Fortunately a few folks over at flickr did the deed.)

Have you seen this really great looking new book?  "SignPainters" – by Faythe Levine and Same Macon, with a forward by Ed Ruscha – my Christmas list keeps getting longer…


UPCOMING NEW YORK NEON TALKS:
 

1 comment:

  1. J. Fitzpatrick, Yonkers, NYNovember 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM

    After I saw this post, I hurried over and grabbed one last dog from Nathans on Central Ave. This place brings me back to my childhood. Any idea what will happen to this iconic neon sign?

    ReplyDelete